Skip to main content

The crude Microwave Oven Transformer Welder



It's been a long time since I've been thinking to make Welder on my own. But being a hobbyist in the simple electronic project, I did not have enough knowledge on Welding or what so. Its then I started research on welding machine how do they work, how many types are there etc. Anyway, this project is to all my Electrical and Electronics friends out there, who are fond of Electronics and Power and DiY...

RESTORATION


I got to know that one could restore an old microwave oven from any local home shops and convert them to a welding machine. Hence I started my search on old MOT's, unfortunately here in Kerala, we got no or less access to old mid conditioned electronics. After searching for a month I got two MOT from my Dad's friend. After that salvage when I once went to my relative's house I found a local shop where a ton of MOT's where sold in accordance with their weight. I scavenged 2 more from there for ₹200.

Now to the main part. MOT welding machines are one of the simplest projects which one can do to learn more on power electronics and stuff (In a sense, dealing with huge currents, For the first time in my lifetime I was able to see 200 amps)

PRINCIPLE & NEW BIRTH

The principle is quite simple, MUTUAL INDUCTION...TTa DDaaa... Sounds similar right? It is the same principle which you might have studied in you 12th standards. Basically, you got 2 to 3 microwave oven which usually outputs about 2000V in its secondary each. Our goal is high CURRENT !!!. So we need to rewire the secondaries of the transformer with lesser number of turns so to get lower voltage with higher current in the secondary.

 From the salvaged transformers, 3 of them were good(overall condition of transformer, rust, terminal quality etc were my concern). So I took apart the transformers I & E sections by using an angle grinder, you just cut along the sleeve and to take it apart with a chisel. Then I used 6sq.mm wire for the secondary. The challenging part was, of course, the winding, sometimes its too loose that you might think of adding one more turn which would make it tight as hell. Be sure to make a firm winding.

        With a bit of math I measured the thicknesses of two windings and hence found out primary to secondary ratio is about 1:10. Hence for 240v input I may get about 2400v on the secondary. With 6 turns on secondary winding in first transformer I got over 6v in secondary. We need about 25+ voltage and 120+ ampere for a proper welding. For this secondary must be 10 to 14 turns each transformer, which adds to 28v maximum with 28 turns on both. Voltage is to establish proper arcing between the metal and electrode and ampere is to make thing hot enough to melt
 
6sq.mm wire                   New secondadry                      'E' section

                            After all the windings were completed, I sealed the top with a stone just for experimenting. You must actually seal the 'I' section with 2 part epoxy glue for a sturdy connection so as to reduce any vibrations.


                            At last, the TEST, with mom beside me (praying to god, oh god! may nothing happen to my boy). With the blessings of my mom and presence of Mr. Faraday, I heard the noise from the transformer. It was the moment where all those Mutual Induction and Mr. Faraday came into action. Glad to see those!

I used just a screwdriver tied to a metal clamp to hold the electrode and just touched one of the broken 'E' section, and whola.. success, I witnessed the spark and spots of the weld (2.5mm rod). with a maximum current of 147A recorded by my sweet clamp meter (By the way, my reserve bank for all the online purchasing is my brother) and a maximum voltage of 29V, spots of welds were seen.


Although the project is delayed due to my exams, I'll make a follow up where I would add another transformer so as to see a blue arc (35+ volts) and the overall casing, ventilation and proper welding.

DISCLAIMER: MOT welding is not the best way of welding, but as of Do it YourSelf projects, estimating around a ₹1000 ($20) its a worth, still the 6sq.mm wires can become a bit hot on prolonged usage and the transformers too can build up heat quickly. So if you are making one on yourself, be aware of these facts.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Solar Panel Cake Recipe.

Today, I'm going to present you a cookery show on 'How to make Solar Panel Cake'.                                            The ingredients we need for this cook is just handful of items. First, the main ingredient is Silicon or simply sand which you can find out in dessert, along with that you need some chemicals, some liquid metal, and a bit coloring. Ok! now we can start our mix, before that our silicon must be either cooked or baked to about 2000 degree Celcius to separate it from impurities and other rocks. Once the cooking is over, we can add our first set of chemicals which is mainly to increase the strength of silicon, which is now in a molten state. We need to stir these two mixes at a constant temperature for about two days.  1st cooking for strengthening                                            Now we've got a sweet liquid silicon. Wait for this to be hardened, either you can wait for normal cooling, else pass some water underneath the coo

Automated Water Pump

Hey, Sorry for the delay in post updates, which was primarily due to exams and busy schedules. Okay! Let's move on to work. Often, I see my mom running to the kitchen as soon as the tank gets filled and the water overflows, to open up the tap, thus saving a bit of it being overflown. It's been long that I've looking to come up with a solution to this problem. At last- 'An Automated Water Pump Mechanism.' The whole project actually took around 3 days to complete and a month of planning. The original idea was to make the system fully autonomous so that whenever the water drops below a certain value, the pump would get turned ON and another threshold for turn OFF. But adding to the design constraint, if the system is fully autonomous, the system would turn ON despite the irregularities of Voltage in our state (Kerala), that would further lead to other problems. Hence I stick on to the idea of turning ON  the system once which will shut the system OFF once th

Alternating Current v/s Direct Current

A rather simple topic! WHAT?        There are mainly two types of electricity in this world, namely Alternating Current (AC) & Direct Current (DC). But before that what is current? In theory, it's just a flow of electron, but in a practical scenario I've seen anything like that, what I felt is a torturing heat, and that's because of a higher CURRENT!. The supply we get in our house, industry, college almost everywhere is Alternating Current. Its produced from hydroelectric generators here, mainly. 'AC' man is seen as something like this when plotted in a graph. Mr. Alternating Current          Once again Mr. Faraday came into our context. According to his law  of electromagnetism predicts how a magnetic field will interact with an electric circuit to produce an electromotive force ( EMF). Consider a magnet with its south and north poles separated in space and when a coil rotates in between this poles, electricity will be produced in the terminals o